Welcome to Year 1!
Our Year 1 Class Teachers for 2018-19 are Mrs Stainbank and Mrs Baker (on Fridays in Autumn first half term then Mrs Watt will return for Fridays) in Emerald Class and Mrs Court in Ruby Class.
Our LSAs (Learning Support Assistants who help the class teacher) are Mrs Herriot and Mrs Ratcliffe.
Our SSA (Special Support Assistants who work with individual children).
Our Year 1 Class Parent Reps are TBC, (Emerald Class Parent Rep) and TBC, (Ruby Class Parent Reps).
Academic Year 2017-2018 (to be updated for 2018/19)
Please find some information below which we hope you will find useful.
- We use ‘talk for writing’ (actions and games) to inspire our children to become writers.
- Your child will have a formal taught guided reading session once a week.
- Additionally reading is taught as part of Phonics and will also take place within Literacy lessons.
- Your child will be heard to read by parent & other volunteers during the week.
- Each child will have the opportunity to change their book daily.
- Ideally, please read with your child for 10 minutes every day.
- Phonics will be checked at the end of Year 1.
- Daily reading- 10 minutes per day if possible.
- 5² mental maths.
- Some children may have key words to learn.
- Spelling to be tested on a Wednesday
- Maths homework diaries – Maths homework will start after half-term
- If you would like to write a comment in your child’s homework diary so the teacher can see how you are getting on please feel free to do so. We will respond to these comments so please ensure that your child hands in their diary each Friday.
- Emerald and Ruby class PE will be Monday and Wednesday (Dance).
- Winter PE kit should include jogging bottoms & long sleeve top and trainers for outside.
- Please ensure everything is clearly named.
- This year we are very lucky to have Forest School!
- Mrs Ballard will be running this lesson on a Thursday with Emerald and Friday with Ruby in the afternoons.
- They will need to bring outdoor clothing suitable for all occasions
Show and Tell
- We will be starting show and tell on a Friday afternoons. A rota will be handed out and each table will take turns.
- Please make sure that all items are related to our topic learning.
Library and Cooking
- Ruby Library – Thursday afternoon
- Emerald Library – Tuesday afternoon
- Mrs Ratcliffe will be running cooking this year and the children will be given opportunities to cook throughout the year.
We would really appreciate if everyone could take turns sharpening our class pencils over the weekend. We will work our way down the register and send them home on a Friday.
During the coming year we would really appreciate donations of: tissues, advanced notice will be given if we need any materials for DT.